Medical Professionals Have Unique Communication Needs
Whether it is accent modification and communication training, public speaking, or other communication skills, doctors, nurses, medical interpreters, allied health professionals, and other medical personnel must be able to communicate effectively with colleagues, staff, patients, and family members. Failure to communicate successfully and efficiently can result in life threatening and legal consequences which can affect the professional’s career.
In the medical environment, physicians who represent a department, office, or hospital must communicate at various levels. Voice quality and speaking style should enhance one’s image. Effective communication directly impacts the hospital or offices’ image, patient satisfaction, and professional relationships.
One on one coaching to assist the individual in presentation skills for conferences and meetings is available. Video recording and analyzing presentations are included.
1:1 coaching can assist physicians and nurses prepare for the speaking portion (Clinical Skills Assessment) of their licensing exams.
Are you an international medical graduate or foreign-educated nurse? Improve your communication with your patients and colleagues and avoid miscommunication and medical errors.
Accent modification and communication training will assist non-native English speaking professionals in reducing potential communication barriers and increase quality, safety, and productivity in healthcare.
What you can expect from the comprehensive Medically Speaking customized programs:
- Receive a comprehensive evaluation
- Learn strategies for improving pronunciation of medical and conversational speech
- Use correct stress patterns for words, sentences, and conversation
- Increase understanding and use of idiomatic language
- Understand various cultural communication styles
- Learn skills to improve work-related communication
- Improve effectiveness for patient/family/staff communication
As a result of this training, you can expect to see:
- Improved caregiver-patient rapport
- Better patient care outcomes and quality care
- Improved patient satisfaction
- Enhanced image of your hospital or department
- Diminished risk exposure
Individual or small group Medically Speaking programs are available. These classes are conducted in our Owings Mills, MD office, at your hospital or office, or online with 1:1 web-based live training.
What should be addressed in communication training?
- Stress and Intonation patterns – reduce potential misinterpretation of critical information, e.g. 15 mg vs. 50 mg
- Clear pronunciation – state medical information accurately e.g. “bleeding” vs. “breathing”
- Idiomatic expressions and slang – reduce communication barriers, e.g. “He’s out of the woods;” “I’ve had it.”
- Cultural Awareness – learn cultural values for communication styles, decision making, hygiene, nutrition, medications, compliance to a medical plan, family constellations, and end of life decisions
- Effective presentation skills
- MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL CLIENTS -
Doctors Community Hospital
Franklin Square Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital
Johns Hopkins Medical Institution
Medical Mutual Liability Insurance Company of Maryland
MedStar-Medical Residency Training Program
Northwest Hospital Center
Reading Hospital and Medical Center
Sibley Memorial Hospital
Sinai LifeBridge Residency Program
- TESTIMONIALS -
"Choosing Successfully Speaking for my Professional Speaking Skills & Accent Modification was the right decision to make. It was a life-changing experience and I thank Lynda for her professionalism, patience, and understanding. The program has given a boost to my professional confidence as people around me understand me better and I do not have to repeat myself as I used to before the program. Also very exciting is how this program has improved my listening ability. Before this program, I used to think that native speakers talk too fast. Lynda opened my 'eyes' to different aspects of the American English I did not know. I wish I had done it a long time ago. I would surely recommend Successfully Speaking to anyone who really wants value for his or her time and money." --Paschal D // Ambulatory Care Pharmacist"
Accent Modification Online Course
Lynda Katz Wilner, certified Speech and Language Pathologist, is offering online, individual and group accent modification classes to improve your communication skills and pronunciation of the English language.
Achieve Excellence in Communication
Successfully Speaking is a communication skills consulting company that assists individuals, groups, and organizations achieve excellence in communication. Training is conducted in our Owings Mills, MD office, at your workplace, or by distance training on the internet.